Professional Responsibility and Ethics13 Nov 2010
I would have spent hundreds of hours talking, about professional responsibility, craftsmanship and ethics, to my team. What you would read below, is a summarised version of the same.
If I sign up for something (a job, a project or something else), I am going to do it with responsibility. If I develop disliking for job/project at any point of time, I am going to:
- reflect (validate, find causes/solutions)
- communicate promptly and proactively all the times
- challenge myself to keep myself motivated
- try changing things around for better
- find responsible exit strategy, if there is no hope
We live in free country, there is no reason to do wrong, like:
- being dishonest with myself and others
- doing anything (moonlighting, sharing confidential information, etc.)
- being irresponsible towards my work, hence often repeat mistakes which cause loss to my employer/customer
- being irresponsible towards, in general
Let me give some examples of wrong-doings, based on my experiences:
- I lie (wrong reasons) while quitting the job
- I do something, which I agreed not to do, for the sake of extra money
- I don't spend enough time figuring out solutions of problem, instead I start running away from problems.
- I don't communicate properly
- I assume and judge based on rumours/gossips/assumptions
- I quit without giving any notice and expect my employer to give me all certificates and positive reference
- I request to be relieved from my duties without serving a required notice period. I promise buy out (i.e. pay money back to company/customer), which I never do
- I take some days off from work but I never return back to work; I don't communicate and keep my employer posted on status
- Above all, my actions are irresponsible, unprofessional and unethical
We all make mistakes. If I made one (wrong-doing) intentionally, it's not good. If I made one unintentionally, later realized it as a mistake, however, I keep repeating, what could be worse than this?
No one is perfect in this world, neither is the company/customer I work with nor I am. However, we can work together despite all these imperfections without doing anything wrong (ethically, professionally). There is always a right option, thankfully.
Good communication, at all the times, always help us doing things right and avoiding wrong ones.
I am not sure, if I could express what I want to say; I hope you can understand what I mean.
Please leave your comment and feel free to correct me, if I am wrong somewhere. I am always open to learn about different perspectives and improve myself.